September is here. The weather here in Michigan hasn’t quite realized that it is no longer summer, but fall is definitely on its way.
People base the changing seasons on lots of different things: weather, the calendar, or even the arrival of Starbucks’ seasonal treats. Fall is probably my favorite season, followed closely by winter, and so I thought I’d share with you some of my fall favorites!
- Colors! Sure, one day you’re crossing the quad and wondering when the seasons are going to change, then BAM! All the leaves are bursting into thousands of different hues – orange, gold, purple, yellow, and tons of others gorgeous colors. Be sure to take time and notice the leaves changing this year. Instead of staring down at your phone during your walk to work/school, put that phone away and take in this beautiful time of year. Take a walk in the evening, sit down and read outside, or go for a run and enjoy the beautiful autumnal palette.
- Apple picking and pumpkin carving! Alright, so I haven’t picked a pumpkin since I was in high school, but it’s a tradition that I am determined to bring back. Before moving north for school, C and I lived in a tiny studio apartment that only had two small windows and had very little space for seasonal items (i.e. pumpkins, Christmas tree). That being said, I have told C that this fall will be quite different. I’m going to insist that we do those cheesy fall activities like pumpkin carving, apple picking, and even a corn maze or two! Traditions are good, whether they’re cheesy or not. And opportunities for cheesy traditions abound in autumn.
- Plain and simple – FOOTBALL. I am a crazy person when it comes to football. Football has always been an indicator of the changing season to me. Whether it meant I was gearing up for marching band practices in high school or settling in to finish homework in my dorm room on Sunday afternoons, football has always been in my life. I am currently running two Fantasy Football teams (Delta Tau Chi Pledges and the Chupacabras) and have already been to two NCAAF games this season. I am a huge Indianapolis Colts fan and am violently supportive of the Michigan State Spartans. If anybody ever wants to talk football, count me in.
- Back to school. Yes, I have always been a nerd. And I’ve come to realize that I will always be a nerd. That being said, I love school. After a year of working in the real world following my graduation from DePauw University, I decided that I definitely needed to get back to school in order to pursue the kind of career that I wanted. As an Art History major focusing on medieval art, I didn’t have a lot of practical options when it came to career choices. So I’ve chosen to attend the School of Information at the University of Michigan to pursue my Master of Science in Information while specializing in Archives and Records Management and possibly Library and Information Science. It’s a mouthful of a title, I know, but I can already tell after one week that it is going to be an incredible experience. Difficult, but rewarding.
- Winter is coming. Being from Michigan, I am used to a lot of snow action in the winter. And while most people despise the snow and the cold weather…I love it. I can’t get enough of it. I love the entire season. I love preparing for Christmas, the feeling of goodness in the air, the warm treats and delicious drinks, and who can say no to a nice viewing of The Muppet Christmas Carol?! Call me crazy but this is, by far, my favorite thing about fall – winter is only one season away!
These are a few of my favorite things about fall! What are yours? Do you live for Pumpkin Spice Lattes or do you long for scarf season? Is football your favorite?